The curious conflict of the Nokia E71 and the Netgear DG834

I’ve just replaced my ageing and trusty router (A Zyxel Prestige P652R-11) with a new model, the Zyxel P-660HW. This isn’t the first time I’ve decided to update my router. Last year I decided to take the plunge and went with a popular Netgear model that seemed to get good reviews.

It took me a long time to realise there was some peculiar conflict between my Nokia E71 and the new router. I use iplayer on the E71 and occasionally it would freeze after a period of playing; usually anything between 10 minutes and half and hour. There would be no alternative but to restart the application.

Initially I didn’t suspect the Netgear as I was accessing the wi-fi via WAPs, and not the router itself. I’m not sure at what point I dusted of the old router and put it back into operation and found the problem disappeared. I’m not sure if I’m the only person in the known universe who had this problem (now academic as I got rid of the Netgear router) but I’d be curious if anyone stumbles upon this post during a search and had the same issue.