Can I repeat the dizzy success of Loaf 9? (TLDR; No).
It’s difficult to resist the temptation to tweak and experiment, so I won’t. I should, of course, only change one thing at a time, and I’m not going to, and I’m going to regret it.
- 60g rye starter
- 460g strong white flour (Tesco organic)
- 340g water
- 7g salt
- 15g EVOO (Terra Delyssa)
- 1800 – Menu 29 (rustic sourdough)
- 2130 – Menu 30 overnight
- 0830- Menu 18 (bake only)
Not great. It had risen a lot overnight and was looking and smelling good before baking. It hasn’t risen anymore during bake. It’s dropped if anything. Same old same old. Tasty but dense texture.
A couple of things I’m going to try next time:
- Shorter bake time. Let’s try an hour instead of hour and a half. It won’t make any difference to the rise but perhaps I might prefer softer crumb. The novelty of the crispy crusty crust might be wearing off.
- Shorten knead time (menu 29). I like the idea of allowing the program to run to completion but it does two kneads. Loaf 9 only had one knead (pretty sure I stopped it in the middle rest period). I’ll try that for loaf 11.