Refresh the wheat starter. I now have 420g. Seems a lot.
- 130g wheat starter (not intended to use quite so much but it tends to slurp out)
- 460g strong white flour (Doves (I keep wanting to put an apostrophe in there) Organic)
- 340g water
- 15g EVOO (Terra Delyssa)
- 7g salt
- No syrup this time
- 1430 – Menu 29 (rustic sourdough) (full program)
- 1700 – Menu 30 (sourdough starter)
- 2030 – Menu 11 (rustic sourdough) on timer for 0800 tomorrow
Not great. Not very well risen. Tasty enough. But very dense.
It had a decent rise before baking overnight so I’m beginning to think the bake programs over-knead the already kneaded and risen dough. If anything, the loaf has less rise after baking than when it was still a dough.
My notes are a bit vague. Was it the french (menu 10) or rustic sourdough (menu 11), and would it really have made that much difference?
I think for the next loaf I’m going to try a rye starter and do the bake only (menu 18) program as it does no more kneading. I have about 220g rye starter now, and if I only need 80g, then I probably should be going light on the refreshing.